Thursday, May 05, 2005

Problems moving hard drive

I just finished what I thought would be a 15 minute task. Turns out that I spent a couple of hours trying to move a hard drive from one dead machine to another. As I have mentioned before, I try to keep the computers running at Providence Christian Academy in St. Louis MO.

Yesterday the machine (Windows 2000 Pro) we use for attendance and Peachtree started turning itself off after a few minutes of run time. I figure there is something wrong with the power supply or the motherboard. I had an extra computer and figured I would just grab the hard drive from the dying machine and move it to the extra computer. I assumed it would just be a matter of swapping the hard drive and restarting the machine. Since these are old Dell machines, swapping the hard drive is really easy. I really like the Dell cases, they are easy to get into and the parts are easy to change.

Anyway, swapping the hard drives was easy but when I tried to boot with the hard drive from the dead machine I got a blue screen of death:

***STOP: 0x0000007B
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

The hard drive worked in the old machine, so I wondered what could be the problem. I tried a number of things from running chkdsk to doing a Windows 2000 rescue. Nothing worked. I did find a Microsoft article about what to do when this happens, but it didn't help. Finally, I found the following article, followed the directions, and it solved the problem.

Move an IDE Drive w/Windows 2000 or XP to A New System

Yeah!

No comments: